Your basket
Your basket
0 items - £0.00

Personal tools

Home News Reach out for support

Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

Reach out for support

by Michael Ford last modified 08 Dec, 2020 03:35 PM

With continued challenges of the Covid-19 pandemic this year, life at home is difficult for people at the moment. However, support is available now for anyone struggling with their relationship, courtesy Dorset Council.

Reach out for support

Photo courtesy Unsplash

For some couples, working from home has meant they are spending a lot more time together than normal with arguments more common as pressures increase. With the addition of financial difficulties due to reduced working hours or redundancy, and home schooling, 2020 is proving a difficult time.

Councillor Graham Carr-Jones, Portfolio Holder for Housing and Community Safety, said: “If you are struggling with your relationship or finding things at home particularly difficult, please reach out for support.

“Organisations around Dorset, such as Relate, the Samaritans and You First have specialist advisers waiting at the end of the phone.

“Confidential help and support is there for both men and women, so please make that call now.”

Relate has advisers to support you and they can be contacted on 01302 380900 or visit

You can speak to the Samaritans on Freephone 116 123.

Councillor Molly Rennie, Dorset Councillor who leads on domestic abuse work, said: “During these unprecedented times, our relationships are hugely important. However, spending so much time together can also be challenging, and with added issues like finances and being away from friends and family, that ‘new normal’ can be difficult to cope with.”

Councillor Rennie continued: “For some, home is not the safest pace to be at the moment. If you feel unsafe or frightened because other people in your home are hurting you, either physically or mentally, this is not your fault. Domestic Abuse affects far more people than you would think – you are not alone.”

If you need advice about Domestic Abuse, speak to You First advisers on 0800 032 5204. Alternatively, visit

In an emergency, always dial 999.

Citizens Advice can offer you guidance for example whether you can stay in the family home, who the children should live with or sorting out money. See or telephone 0800 144 8848.

To see more information about support and advice that’s available, whether it’s financial, family, relationships, free school meals or wellbeing, see our Reaching Out pages.

Document Actions