Seaborough's bells ring out again

by Michael Ford last modified 09 Oct, 2019 01:04 PM

The 300 year old church bells in the Dorset village of Seaborough have rung out for the first time since their recent restoration.

The bells at St John's Church which is part of the Beaminster Team, date back to 1712 and were cast by Thomas Knight of Closworth.

Although the pair of bells had been rung for a wedding back in 2017, their fall into disrepair had meant they had not been in use regularly for many years.

They were restored by Taylors of Loughborough and rehung on on new headstocks, bearings and fittings.

Two parishioners, trained for the occasion by the Broadwindsor Tower Captain Norman Marsden, were given the honour of pulling the ropes to call the village to Harvest Festival Evensong.

Over half the village - 60 people - were in church to hear the bells rung and attend the service.

The project to renew the bells was spearheaded by Churchwarden Steve Loveridge who made sure the funds were raised to get the bells restored.

The restoration was made possible by grants of over £13,000 gathered from a range of providers, from the All Churches Trust to the Church Buildings Council.

Document Actions