Diocesan Glebe

by Michael Ford last modified 03 Jan, 2012 03:05 PM

Glebe is bought, managed and sold as an investment to help to pay and house the clergy.  This is our statutory obligation.

In comparison with many other Dioceses, Salisbury has a small glebe estate, approaching some 1800 acres, mainly of farmland without buildings but there are a few houses, cottages and barns.  This acreage comprises nearly 250 separate holdings so each area is quite small, normally on the outskirts of villages and retaining some long term potential for alternative use. 

The agricultural lettings have for many decades been managed by a retained agent but over the years the development opportunities have increasingly been initiated in-house and this has developed a particular speciality in the form of social housing schemes for which 6 projects have so far been completed.  Land is leased to Housing Associations for building accommodation reserved for local people at genuinely affordable rents.  52 houses have been provided as a result.

Visit www.cofe.anglican.org/about/churchcommissioners for:

  • Parsonages and Glebe Diocesan Manual     
  • Endowments and Glebe Measure 1976

Contact the Property Manager
Simon Ferris: simon.ferris@salisbury.anglican.org 
 

Document Actions