Salisbury Diocesan Board of Education has a dedicated and long term relationship with the work of School Governing bodies.
It offers support, advice and training in a wide range of aspects of governance, particularly with foundation governors.
Your contact for foundation governor appointments is Sandi Hammer, Governors’ Support:
01722 746948, firstname.lastname@example.org
A number of resources can be downloaded from the grey 'Governors' Resources' box on the left.
The duties of a foundation governor are extensive and are the same of those of other governors. However, in addition, foundation governors are the 'formal Christian presence' on the Governing Body; they are upholding the religious Trust Deed of the school. The main duties of foundation governors are to:
- Oversee the conduct and curriculum of the school
- Monitor the extent to which the school is achieving its aims, objectives and targets
- Appoint teaching and non-teaching staff to the school who support the school's Christian ethos
- Consider and advise, as necessary, on the resourcing of the school
- Foster good community and other relationships
- Manage the school budget in the context of local management of schools
- Support the school and its staff in seeking to provide academic excellence - throughout the curriculum - in a Christian context
Foundation governors are the visible link between school, community and church. In order to fulfil these obligations it is essential that all governors maintain a keen interest in the life and work of the school by:
- Attending Governors' Meetings and associated committees
- Visiting the school regularly
- Knowing 'what' the school is doing and 'how' it is being done
- Taking an active part in the public and social life of the school
For most diocesan schools the local Parochial Church Council (PCC) is responsible for making foundation governor nominations to the Board of Education. The Board of Education is responsible for making the actual appointments.
Download Foundation Governor Appointments Resources and Advice for PCCs on Foundation Governor nomination from the grey 'Governors' Resources' box on the left.