If a PCC agrees they would like to make any alterations to a church building, its contents, or its churchyard, an application for a Faculty will usually be required.

A Faculty is legal permission to carry out the development work. However, there are different permissions depending on what is being proposed so it is vitally important that whatever changes you have in mind, however small you think they are, that you get in touch with the Church Buildings Team in the first instance so they can best advise you. 

The process to obtain the permission begins with a proposal from the PCC about the alterations and ends with a decision from the Chancellor of the diocese or the relevant Archdeacon as to whether it can go ahead. 

Both the Chancellor and Archdeacon are advised by the DAC about the decision, which will balance the church’s missional aims and needs with the heritage and historical significance of the building or land. 

Further documents and guidance can be found from Church Buildings here or in the Documents Library here

Online Faculty System
Since 1 April 2020, all Faculty petitions and List A and B applications are now made through the Online Faculty System.
• Access the Online Faculty System.
User Manuals for the Online Faculty System.
• You might find this PowerPoint presentation helpful, which explains the Faculty process step by step.
If you are in any doubt, please contact the team by emailing dac@salisbury.anglican.org or click the contact button below.
NB: applications will NOT be accepted by post or email - please use the link above. The team will answer queries as quickly as they can.
Legislation relating to Faculties
These are some helpful links to the relevant legislation governing the Faculty process:
• For cases before July 2022: The Faculty Jurisdiction (Amendment) Rules 2019
For more informaton on Legal and Policy, visit the DAC page.
Powered by Church Edit